The standard interface for the AIBO entertainment robot system created by Sony.
- Modularized hardware
- Ability to change the robot's form by exchanging modules (e.g. you can change a leg module or the head module)
- Each module is connected by a high speed serial bus
- Auto detection of robot's hardware configuration
- Modularized software
- OPEN-R Software modules are called "objects"
- The programming model allows concurrently running objects to communicate with each other.
- Connections between objects are defined in a connection description file.
- OPEN-R objects can be added and replaced.
- Each OPEN-R object is loaded from the Memory Stick at start up
- Supports Wireless LAN (PC card slot for 2xx models)
- Supports TCP/IP network protocol
A cross compiler development environment based on gcc (C++) that allows you to create and compile OPEN-R objects to run natively on AIBO.
- One of the following models:
- Sony Brand memory stick reader
- Programable Memory Stick (PMS) for Aibo. (Either size e.g. 8Mb/16Mb)
- The following OS platforms are known to work with the OPEN-R SDK
- Windows 2000/XP with Cygwin (DLL version 1.3.22)
- Linux - Ubuntu 5.1, Debian 3.1, Vine Linux 3.2-2.6 (possibly others)
- Mac OS X version 10.2.8
- Download the OPEN-R SDK files from Sony
A working WiFi setup is highly recommended for debugging purposes, but not required for OPEN-R SDK programs to run on AIBO.
Installation / Setup